Friday, October 21, 2011

It's Friday! Everybody's looking forward to the weekend...

The past couple of days have been decently uneventful! I wrote my first exam in philosophy which took about an hour and a half. It went well, I think. And after that, I was officially liberated for reading week! Woohoo!
This morning, I fully intended on waking up early to go running, but alas staying out late meant that I kept hitting the snooze button until 9am. Don't worry though, I just ran in the afternoon :)
We woke up to it being freezing outside, about 5 degrees. I am wishing that I brought my mittens, toque, and earbags. Not sure why I didn't. I may be Canadian, but that doesn't mean that I actually enjoy the cold...
Anyways, despite the cold, I met up with one of the girls from our group for a little breakfast downtown. We don't know each other that well, so it was a great chance to chat. We started speaking in French, but eventually transitioned into English. Oh well, a bit of practice! Not bad. We went to a little cafe off of Commerce (downtown) called La Bourse. She got a hot chocolate and a croissant, and I got a cappuccino and bread with butter and jam. The bread doesn't sound like much, but seriously: French baguette is to die for. Put some real butter and delicious jam on that and you've got a tasty breakfast.
Afterwards, I got some money from the bank and headed back to residence to do some laundry and go for my run. I also did some grocery shopping. Not terribly interesting!
I did find a half-marathon training guide on the Runner's World website, so I'm really excited to start it. I don't actually start it until 9 weeks before, so I have to make sure that I build up my runs until then. My friend from our Canadian group also signed up, so we're going to go together! We're pretty nervous and excited... not really sure what we've gotten ourselves into, but we both agree that just doing a half-marathon in PARIS will be amazing. And it will give us lots of incentive to train!
This evening, my friend and I went out for crepes! A while ago, we made a little bet about finishing homework... and I unfortunately lost, so I owed him crepes. We caught a tram downtown and went to the Creperie Heb Kam (I think that's what it's called...) and it was delicious!
Here is my crepe. You can't really tell what's in it, but it had mushrooms, bacon, and cheese. Delicious!

John's crepe: ham, cheese, and egg.

Hot chocolate and cafe au lait.
As you can see, they were delicious. It's hard to describe how delicious crepes are, you just have to try them for yourself! We also each got a dessert crepe: I got rhubarb compote, and my friend got caramel beurre salé. They were both delicious! We had a great time.
Tomorrow should also be a great day! Visiting a market in the morning (in search of a pumpkin), skating for Siobhain's birthday in the afternoon (hopefully she doesn't read this, because it's a surprise! shh!) and then going out on the town for her birthday in the evening. I'll keep you posted!
Now, if only the heat would work in my room... it's hard to type when your fingers are going numb!!

No comments:

Post a Comment